TABLE OF ACTIVE PRINCIPLES
The alpha lipoic acid (ALA) is a powerful antioxidant that acts also as a coenzyme of cellular energy metabolism and as an anti-inflammatory.
ALA is the only anti-oxidant capable of performing its activity both in the aqueous and lipid phase, thus contrasting both the peroxidation of the lipids of the cellular and mitochondrial membranes and the oxidation of proteins and DNA. Thanks to its coenzyme activity it is also able to regenerate other fundamental antioxidants such as vitamin C, vitamin E, coenzyme Q and glutathione.
Action on energetic metabolism
ALA is a cofactor for numerous enzymes that participate in the cycle of Krebs in mitochondria. Its supplementation increases the ATP biosynthesis and the energetic and self-repair availability of the cells.
The anti-inflammatory action of ALA is carried out both at the peripheral and at the central level, thanks to its ability to easily cross the blood-brain barrier: at the peripheral level, it inhibits particularly the immune cells activation; at the central level, it reduces the activation of microglia, mediated by the activation of NF-kB (NuclearFactor kappa-light-chain-enhancer of activated B cells), a transcription factor that regulates the inflammatory process by modulating the biosynthesis of numerous inflammatory cytokines .
Il Magnesio è un minerale essenziale, cofattore in oltre 300 reazioni enzimatiche.
Modula il tono e la contrattilità delle fibre muscolari lisce della parete vasale interagendo con gli ioni calcio; è un co-modulatore della pressione arteriosa ed è il maggior determinante del metabolismo del glucosio e dell’insulina. Promuove la trasmissione degli stimoli nervosi ai muscoli e facilita l’assimilazione delle vitamine del gruppo B, C ed E, inoltre stimola la sintesi della vitamina D e contribuisce alla solidità delle ossa, oltre che all'efficienza del sistema immunitario. Somministrato sotto forma di sale, il magnesio ad alte dosi riduce la contrattilità uterina sia interferendo con il meccanismo di trasmissione nervosa sia riducendo la concentrazione intracellulare del calcio, essenziale per la contrazione della fibra muscolare liscia.
Azione analgesica e stabilizzante del tono dell’umore
Un buon livello di magnesio è importante sia per attenuare i dolori mestruali, che per ridurre gli sbalzi d’umore e l’irritabilità tipici della sindrome premestruale. In menopausa, riduce le vampate di calore, diminuisce le manifestazioni ansiose, previene la comparsa di osteoporosi e di artrosi da perdita di sali minerali. Assorbito attraverso l’intestino, il magnesio ne regola l’attività contrastando la sintomatologia da colon irritabile, ed essendo alcalinizzante, riequilibra la digestione contrastando l'acidità e riequilibrando il pH del sangue, con un benefico effetto antinfiammatorio.
Pelvidol is a food supplement containing alpha-lipoic acid and magnesium, specifically developed to fight chronic pelvic pain (chronic pelvic pain, CPP). Pain, especially chronic, is a challenge to personal and relational balance and when it affects a woman it has implications not only on her gynecological and sexual but also procreative health.
One tablet every 12 hours in case of pelvic pain, dysmenorrhea, dyspareunia, vulvodynia. Pain Relief already after 1-3 weeks of treatment.
At the origin of CPP there is a comorbidity condition between different types of pain (urological, gynecological, sexual, colon-proctological, neuro-muscular) associated with a dysregulation of the somato-sensory system of the pelvic area. Women who suffer from this syndrome have often manifestations of anxiety and / or depression with limitations in social and sexual life. The physical pain is subtended by an inflammatory and tissue process and it concerns mechanisms of the peripheral and central nervous system. Alongside centrally acting analgesics and anti-inflammatories, some active ingredients of natural origin can effectively act on the pathogenetic process, as demonstrated by an extensive scientific documentation.
Pelvidol contains 600 mg of Alpha-Lipoic Acid which is very effective in the treatment of chronic pelvic and neuropathic pain thanks to its anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective activity. In the woman in fertile age it has shown an important beneficial effect in reducing dyspanuria, vulvodynia, painful bladder syndrome and the hypertonia of the pelvic floor. In women in menopause, supplementation with alpha-lipoic acid has multiple purposes: it is able to perform protective effects on the cardiovascular, nervous, neurosensory and bone levels. The use of ALA for the treatment of pain in pregnancy is spreading and in vitro studies have documented an anti-inflammatory action on the placenta, with a significant reduction of the pro-inflammatory effects of thrombin in an experimental model that mimics the conditions of preterm rupture of the membranes.
Pelvidol contains 240 mg of Magnesium, whose supplementation helps to counter neuropsychic disorders (anxiety, distress, irritability, fall of mood, emotionality, insomnia, exasperation of PMS), neurovegetative somatizations (tachycardia, dyspnea, extrasystoles, vasoconstriction / hypertension, pallor, flushing, gastrointestinal symptoms, aerophagia, meteorism) and neuromuscular manifestations (cramps, paresthesias, myalgias, physical fatigue, muscular asthenia). It is useful also in pregnancy to prevent uterine hypercontractility.
Neurobiology of chronic pelvic pain.
The CPP is due to 3 main mechanisms that are not mutually exclusive:
1. Nociceptive pain: it originates from peripheral damage or inflammation of the tissue of somatic or visceral structures, often due to mechanical causes.
2. Peripheral neuropathic pain: it originates from an intrinsic dysfunction of the PNS, which exacerbates stimuli also of low intensity.
3. Central neuropathic pain: it originates from a direct facilitatory modulation of the incoming nociceptive pathways.
- Engeler D, A.P. Baranowski, J. Borovicka, A. Cottrell, P. Dinis-Oliveira, S. Elneil, J. Hughes, E.J. Messelink, A. van Ophoven, Y. Reisman, A.C. de C. Williams Guidelines on Chronic Pelvic Pain. European Association of Urology, 2014
- Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. Therapies Targeting the Nervous System for Chronic Pelvic Pain Relief. Scientific Impact Paper No. 46. January 2015
- Gomes MB, Negrato CA.. Alpha-lipoic acid as a pleiotropic compound with potential therapeutic use in diabetes and other chronic diseases. Diabetol Metab Syndr. 2014 Jul 28;6(1):80
- Moura FA, de Andrade KQ, Dos Santos JC, Goulart MO. Lipoic Acid: its Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Role and Clinical Applications. Curr Top Med Chem. 2015 Jan 14 [Epub ahead of print].
- Graziottin A. Acido alfa lipoico: farmacologia e indicazioni cliniche. In Graziottin A (a cura di) Atti del Congresso “Menopausa precoce: dal dolore alla salute”, pag. 131-146, 2015, Fondazione Graziottin per la cura del dolore nella donna Onlus
- Di Tucci C, Di Feliciantonio M, Vena F, Capone C, Schiavi MC, Pietrangeli D, Muzii L, Benedetti Panici P. Alpha lipoic acid in obstetrics and gynecology. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2018 Sep; 34(9):729-733. doi: 10.1080/09513590.2018.1462320. Epub 2018 May 4.
- Gröber U, Schmidt J, Kisters K. Magnesium in Prevention and Therapy. Nutrients. 2015 Sep; 7(9): 8199–8226.